Saturday, May 15, 2010

L2 Surface, attempting to break it down

Webster and I eventually want to incorporate walking up and down a ramp as part of his everyday life. I am hopeful it will help with our 10 year old Golden to utilize a ramp on those days she is unable to jump up.

Webster and I tried to put all 4 paws on the board with it elevated; we will work on it more tomorrow.

What is obvious to me after watching this flip is that Webster and I have an invisible leash and he is feeling my low energy level at the other end of his leash. The other observation I made is my timing with the C/T is slow. Webster puts his front paws on the board and I wait for the third paw rather than continuing to reinforce at least two paws. These flips are so revealing.


I watched Sue Shape Lily on the "Surface" and am trying to break down the steps for Webster.

4 comments:

  1. This is nice shaping work, Karen. CAUTION: explain ONE THING at a time! First, stay with the shaping of Webster walking the board end to end. Excellent that you are having him enter from either end of the board. That is you criteria at this point. Walk the board. Then, making a clean entry at the end. Until he understands this, no sitting on the board, no down on the board, and don't elevate the board. Those are ALL subsequent things to do with and on the board. Right now, though, "stay with the class", as Sue would say to Stitch.
    Your rate of reinforcement is excellent. Webster is In the Game for sure. And he is "getting it" nicely. Just don't rush ahead. Let him learn his alphabet first. He can start writing his thesis NEXT WEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for the suggestions. We will work SURFACES again this morning, ONE STEP BY LITTLE STEP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get a chance to watch Sue shaping this behavior? Why don't you give her "pure shaping" of Surfaces a try? It would be a break through for Webster (and for you!) and the start of a new level of understanding. It's time for Webster to really begin to figure things out on his very own....and once you make that committment, it will be a milestone moment. Good luck and happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    I love that you are working on this! It will be so helpful in everyday life! I do agree with Lynn, and your acknowledgment to work on one criteria at a time.

    Websters understanding and dependability will begin to progress at a more rapid rate once you become (through the practice you are doing) more fluent in slicing the behaviors into smaller actions and begin to shape those actions, thus allowing Webster to figure out on his own what he needs to do to earn a click and treat. Once he begins to figure things out, his confidence will rise in tandem with yours. It is a mechanical/cognitive skill like driving a car. It feels like rubbing your belly, patting your head and whistling Dixie all at the same time. It is only a function of practice! The amount of work I see you putting in will have you fluent in no time at all!
    Keep up the great work!! If you need help in any way be sure to ask! Lynn is right there and if she is busy or unavailable I am certainly willing to chat with you,or skype, email, whatever. I am really excited for you and Webster!

    ReplyDelete