I've become a bit confused whether I add DISTANCE or DURATION first; here you see me giving constant treats when Webster is willing to stay up on the counter, but it is not consistent. Any suggestions?
Excellent question. Showing a good understanding of criteria!!!
In going back and reviewing Target: L2 in Steps, it is the Duration that the behavior is asking for. 10 seconds of duration. But in Easy Beginnings, Steps has us working Distance first - "Work up to starting 5' from her first chair, then cut back to right in front of a couch, and work that up to 5'. Work other horizontal surfaces in other rooms until she's enthusiastically smacking anything you point her at."
So that's what we're after first and foremost. 5' distance to a vertical surface. Then, back to the beginning and teach Duration.
You know how to get duration (you're already working on the Sit Stay/Down Stay/ Stand Stay/Zen and Watch). Chutes and Ladders.
One criteria at a time. Think about your dumpster video. Work the distance using Chutes and Ladders. Then, once he has generalized Paws Up from 5' to a variety of vertical surfaces, start teaching the Duration on chairs, etc working up to controlled Duration (10 sec) on vertical surfaces.
Karen, I teach both Duration and Distance PARALLEL. Meaning I train them both at the same time/YET/ separately. I teach Distance in one room and Duration in another room. Not necessarily one right after the other but on the same day or during the same week etc.(parallel, neither taught to completion before beginning the other)
I think one of the huge values of breaking behaviors down into small parts is that each part is a separate behavior in itself. Each part can be taught individually in the same time frame(parallel) and then chained together later to become a fluid new behavior.
Excellent question. Showing a good understanding of criteria!!!
ReplyDeleteIn going back and reviewing Target: L2 in Steps, it is the Duration that the behavior is asking for. 10 seconds of duration. But in Easy Beginnings, Steps has us working Distance first - "Work up to starting 5' from her first chair, then cut back to right in front of a couch, and work that up to 5'. Work other horizontal surfaces in other rooms until she's enthusiastically smacking anything you point her at."
So that's what we're after first and foremost. 5' distance to a vertical surface. Then, back to the beginning and teach Duration.
You know how to get duration (you're already working on the Sit Stay/Down Stay/ Stand Stay/Zen and Watch). Chutes and Ladders.
One criteria at a time. Think about your dumpster video. Work the distance using Chutes and Ladders. Then, once he has generalized Paws Up from 5' to a variety of vertical surfaces, start teaching the Duration on chairs, etc working up to controlled Duration (10 sec) on vertical surfaces.
Karen,
ReplyDeleteI teach both Duration and Distance PARALLEL. Meaning I train them both at the same time/YET/ separately. I teach Distance in one room and Duration in another room. Not necessarily one right after the other but on the same day or during the same week etc.(parallel, neither taught to completion before beginning the other)
I think one of the huge values of breaking behaviors down into small parts is that each part is a separate behavior in itself. Each part can be taught individually in the same time frame(parallel) and then chained together later to become a fluid new behavior.
If this is more confusing disregard it!!