Mind Set
Correcting a problem with Webster that has become increasingly annoying to me
and to those around us.
Problem:
During training sessions while crated, he barks unless I'm sitting right next to him, feeding him treats while he is quiet.
Webster enjoys his crate when he is at liberty to go in and out. He also enjoys it when we're gone and he and Holly work on their kong while watching Animal Planet together.
I DO NOT want a repeat performance of having to stand NEXT to his crate, giving him treats when he's quiet during Sue's clinic.
Plan:
1. Begin L1 CRATE from the beginning; work this everyday
2. I've set one of his crates up in the family room for working, in addition to our
bedroom.
3. Beginning tonight, start feeding him his meals in his crate as I did when he was a
puppy. (he goes in, I give him his food and close the door, unlatched)
4. Beginning today, put Webster in his crate while I'm sitting quietly, working on FD
homework. (Get him used to being crated while he's near me).
5. Build Duration with the Crate: I will start with 5 minutes, but he's a big boy and
although I believe he can start with 15 mins, I want to set him up for success.
6. Crate him again in several hours for 10 minutes and gradually increase the time to
30 minutes, 60 minutes, 2 hours.
7. Once Webster is comfortable in his crate without making unwanted noises, I will
begin walking in and out of the room for 5 seconds; 10 secs; and work up to 5 mins.
Webster's problem is not so much when I'm out of the room, but when he can see
me and not get to me. I will work on the Duration while I'm in the room.
8. I vow to follow through with CRATING him EVERYDAY while in the room with me.
I created this problem because I enjoy him at my feet. For purposes of nipping
this in the bud, I will crate him everyday for some period of time while I'm
present in the room.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where does YOUR mind set figure into this plan?
ReplyDeleteMy mindset is to give up having my dog to hug whenever I want, to crating him for the benefit of his training.
ReplyDelete