Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Coaching Session at OH with Cathy and Rooster

Rooster and Webster recovered quickly after their reaction to the children riding by.
Our Criteria
ZEN with both dogs walking side by side
ZEN walking with berries on the ground, dogs walking by, skaters, bicyclers, birds, and many SMELLS at Oceanside Harbor

Webster and Rooster don't miss a step!

Criteria
L1 SIT/DOWN/STAND Amid Distractions
Verbal Cue Only

We are using blueberries to practice L1 ZEN, BMO

4 comments:

  1. At another coaching session, since you each are bringing your Flips, it would be interesting to have one camera on the team and the other camera pointing the opposite direction, showing the passing distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, when I was watching this Boon got so mad! I wasn't paying attention and she was doing everything you said! She barked in protest! I looked at her, realized what was happening and began treating her whenever she heard you cue Webster and she did it too! I'll have to see if I can get that on video! Too funny!

    Karen you are doing a great job, so great I would like to suggest you are ready and able to do even better. Training is a habitual skill. There is a habit that if you were to sharpen your skill you could have even better results. The habit? Asking for a behavior BEFORE you have Webster's attention, then repeating the cue.

    In the future, when you catch yourself asking for a behavior before you have Webster's attention, one way of handling it is to just move a couple steps to reset ( both of you) and then when you are certain you have Webster's attention, ask for the behavior again. If he complies great! IF not, that is a sign that he may be a little over his threshold, or doesn't know the behavior well enough etc. In that case, don't ask immediately for that behavior again, move again to a new spot ( just a step or two will do usually , preferably further away from any distraction) to reset then ask for something easier! Look at non-compliance as information. Then ask yourself what is this information most about? Then ask yourself what you can do with the information to make you and Webster more successful.

    You are doing so well with your training I know you are more than capable of using these suggestions if you find them helpful or appropriate. Remember, anyone can suggest anything but it is you who know yourself and your dog best! YOU decide what is helpful for you and for Webster!!!!! Happy training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the suggestions Shelia. I see myself asking Webster for behaviors repeatedly, but have not figured out why; I don' have his attention. I will pay particular attention to this because I'm doing more work in public places where Distractions are greater... Gosh I wish you lived closer. You are such a good trainer with a keen eye. Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, it is easy to spot the splinter in someone else's eye when you have a plank in your own! I too am guilty of this habit, therefore it is easy for me to spot! ; ) I am happy you found my previous and on-going experience with this habit useful! Happy Training!

    ReplyDelete