Sunday, November 21, 2010

HOME DEPOT ZEN ON A BUSY SUNDAY

Web and I worked for 1.5 hours with SDW and Demeanor. Web is taking a break an hour into our session.

Webster and I walked up and down the isles with MANY people, including children and dogs; children with hats that were quite interesting to Webster. There were many Distractions including saws, drills, fork lifts, friendly dog lovers wanting to pet my 'dog in training.' I utilized the public to our advantage. I put Web on a Sit and would not allow petting unless he remained seated. This was difficult, but none-the-less, we did not compromise this Criteria.
The most revealing 'squirrel' was the wind. We walked out into the garden shop and the wind was blowing. I completely lost Webster's attention. I brought him back to me by giving Level 1 behaviors. I know where we will be training tomorrow during the cool, rainy, 'windy' weather! It was a good training day. Our Criteria was a constant loose leash; manners when approached by people.
We met two former Marines, one who is suffering from PTSD and getting help within the VA. I utilized this opportunity to talk with both while remaining focused on my dog.

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Karen, on so many levels: determining a criteria and then maintaining it in many situations; using your environment (the patio furniture); and ESPECIALLY your greatest challenge - talking with people while maintaining your focus on Webster. Was that Ace following you w/the camera?
    Next I would like to see you doing RP in this environment. Finding a comfortable working threshold for Webster. And I'd like to see you generalizing BOTH L1 and L2 behaviors in Home Depot. Distance and Duration.
    But you had a good plan and you stuck to it. There's always something that surprises us. This time it was the wind. I"ll bet by the end of the week, Webster will be "wind-proofed"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such lovely work! Your use of the environment, getting straight sits and downs up against the counter, under the table and ladder, nice concise, SINGLE cues!!!!!! GIRL you were on fire! You watch this over and over and reach over your shoulder and pat yourself on the back! THIS is what it is all about! AND as Lynn said practicing dual attention, other people and your dog with the DOG being first!!!! I am SOOOO proud of you and Webster and this work shows such progress! I can't even tell you how excited I am for you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete